Ynys Circular, near Harlech
This easy but fabulous walk explores a hidden gem on the Cardigan Bay coast. Ynys Llanfihangel-y-Traethau, where the views down the Dwryd Estuary across to the Italianate village Portmeirion and then over to Harlech castle are sublime.
Distance: Approx. 2 miles
Time: Approx. 1.5 Hours
Postcode for Sat Nav: LL47 6TH (approx.)
Grid Ref: SH 597 358
Ordnance Survey Map: OS Explorer OL 18 Harlech, Porthmadog & Y Bala
Car Park on Ynys (From Talsarnau, follow the A496 south, turning right for Harlech. Go over the railway then as road bends sharp left turn first right and follow the lane, eventually passing terrace on left then old mill on right. Continue to find parking area by benches on right opposite house).
1. Face the estuary, and with Llechollwyn house campsite on your left, bear right to pick your way along the bottom of the rocks and then bear left again to walk along the estuary edge. It can be wet underfoot.
2. At low tide stay right, close to the river edge as this is the easiest route, but if the tide is turning or high stay left at the top of the rocks.
3. After about half a mile, you’ll see a large house, Mor Edrin, on the left. If you’re down by the edge of the river, turn inland walking towards the house.
4. At Mor Edrin bear right to a low stone wall, by the gate to the house there are some slate steps, go up the steps and follow the stone wall, shortly you will cross a stream by a footbridge then continue ahead over a ladder stile near a gate at Clogwyn Melyn Farm and walk ahead to meet the farm track.
5. Turn left along the track and follow it, bearing right at a junction to follow the Wales Coast Path signpost uphill to a gate before a farm, Cefn Gwyn.
6. At Cefn Gwyn, go through the gate but then immediately turn left up to a kissing gate. Go through the gate into a field and bear right towards a telegraph pole with a way-marker on it, then aim for a wall with another way-marker on a nearby fence post. Bear left to follow the wall then at the corner (and another way-marker) turn right and carry on to another corner. Turn right here again but soon bear left for a path down to a gate.
7. Go through the gate and walk down the steps, bear right crossing the field and go up the steps on the opposite side to the wall of St. Michael's church. Turn right to walk alongside the church wall on your left. Follow to the front of the church, if you've time go have a wander around the church to explore.
8. Follow the church wall to another gate by a way-marker, go through walking beside the church wall then veer right, away from the wall towards a way-marker by a wall and a gate. Don’t go through the gate, but instead bear right to keep the wall on your left and follow the way-marker down to the small gate at the end of the field.
9. Go through this gate and follow the waymarkers through the fields and gates to a walled track. Follow the track to a gate and the road next to Ty Gwyn Terrace and the tall house, Ty Gwyn Mawr in the village of Ynys.
8. Go through the gate and turn left, and follow the road to return to Llechcollyn and the car park.
Please note. These directions are for guidance only, we can accept no responsibility for any loss, damage or injury resulting from the use of this information. Always take a map with you and be prepared for the weather to turn. Do not venture out in bad weather and always take care with coastal tides.